You were all set to enjoy a wonderful evening with your partner, but before you could even reach close to climaxing, sex became painful. Does this sound familiar? Don’t worry – as per the study, three out of four women experience pain during sex at some point.
Painful sex can be a major hindrance to your sex life. In fact, it can be like a vicious cycle – you have sex, it hurts, your vagina dries up in response, and then it hurts even more. What can you do?
Many people have started using glycerin-free personal lube to lessen the risk of pain. But is it good for you? Well, before we dive deeper into the solutions, you need to understand why this is happening in the first place.
Why does sex hurt?
Sex can hurt due to various reasons:
Vaginal infections such as yeast infections, chlamydia, gonorrhea, bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis, and viral vaginitis. These infections can be associated with allergic reactions too.
Menopause can lead to hormonal changes that can dry out your natural lubrication. As a result, sex can become quite painful.
If your vaginal muscles feel painful the minute something enters your vagina (whether a toy or a penis), then you might have vaginismus. This condition leads to painful spasms, and can make it quite difficult to have sex.
This is a condition in which the walls of the vulva burn and feel sore during sex. You may also experience pain. All these sensations can have a negative impact on sex.
Sexual trauma caused in the past can lead to a mental block against sex. This can manifest in the form of painful sex.
How can you gain relief from painful sex?
There are a few at-home tips that you can consider to gain relief from painful sex. These include the following:
- Use lubrication:Using personal lube can be a good solution for reducing pain and friction that is caused by dryness. There are many different types of lubes that you can buy, and certain types can also be used with condoms. Water based lube is easy to use and offers a bunch of benefits. It also comes in different flavors, which means better oral stimulation for you and your partner. You may want to try Lube’d personal lubricants as they fun and safe to use, and made from 100% vegan ingredients.
- Meditation: Using guided meditation to relax before having sex can help you ensure that all your vaginal muscles are loose and that they won’t hurt during penetration.
- OTC Medication: If you are experiencing painful sex due to an infection, your doctor may recommend a few over-the-counter medications for you to try. Do follow the instructions given by the doctor to gain relief from painful sex.
Should you see a doctor?
If painful sex persists even after you’ve taken medication for infections, then you should definitely see a doctor. Additionally, if you have experienced sexual trauma in the past, then you should speak to a therapist so that you can work through your issues and make sure that you can enjoy sex.
There are a few signs associated with painful sex that suggest that you’ll need to see a doctor. These include:
- Burning pain
- Pain during penetration only
- Aching pain
- Deep pain
- Pain that occurs even when you use a tampon
Painful sex can deeply hamper your sex life for obvious reasons. Make sure you address the issues behind it so that you can enjoy a better sex life as soon as possible!